What is urea and why does it work amazing on cracked skin
When it is applied to the skin as a product, it penetrates the stratum corneum, where it absorbs and retains water, which increases the capacity of the skin to hold moisture and rehydrate.-The Naked Chemist
Because urea hydrates so well it is perfect for use in cracked heels. Cracked heels are also called heel fissures. They can range from a cosmetic issue to a painful problem, depending on its severity. Heel fissures or cracked heels occur when the skin on outer edge or bottom of heel become hard, flaky and dry.
- Urea is naturally produced by our skin
- It regulates our skin’s moisture content
- It is an essential component of our Natural Moisturising Factor (NMF) regulating skin’s moisture content
- Urea is hygroscopic, which means it is able to bind moisture on to the outermost layer of our skin
- It’s the perfect treatment for dry skin, it has anti-itch and anti-microbial properties
- Urea is also used for, eczema, psoriasis, corns, callus and some nail problems
- It is also keratolytic, meaning it breaks down the connections between dead skin cells, naturally exfoliating our skin, smoothing the surface
What is Urea?
The urea contained in urea cream is created synthetically in labs from ingredients such as ammonia and carbon dioxide.
Why are there different strengths of Urea?
Urea preparations come in several forms and strengths. Available dosage forms include cream, lotion, shampoo, gel and shower/bath washes. Strengths of urea preparations range from 3-40%. The form and strength chosen depend on the condition that is being treated and the severity of the condition.
Cautions about creams with Urea.
First, visit your family doctor for a recommendation on what type of product you should use. If they tell you to purchase something at the drug store or online you should still be cautious. Side effects that may occur include mild stinging, itching and skin rash.
What is the best way to use urea
File your heels gently with a good quality foot file (See recommendations)
Apply urea cream
Watch a cool video
What is the best urea cream over the counter?
What is your favourite cracked heel cream with Urea?