Preventing painful cracked heels
in the summer season
The sun is out and the weather is warming up. It’s time to go outside and play.
Days spent splashing in pools, catching rays out on the water and relaxing on the beach are great. Unfortunately, outdoor activities can cause extra wear and tear on the body.
Lots of people protect themselves by purchasing sunscreen, lip protectants and sunglasses. But many will forget to look after two of the most important and neglected parts of the body – the feet.
If you suffer from bad heel fissures you will know that if you let your foot care routine laps you will have to deal with the consequences later.
So let’s look at how we can prevent cracked heels…
The American Podiatric Medical Association offers the following tips on how to protect your feet from saltwater, sand and other outdoor elements:
* Give yourself plenty of time to break in new shoes before going on trips where you’ll be doing lots of walking.
* Remember to apply sunscreen to feet, especially the tops and fronts of ankles. Don’t forget to reapply after taking a dip.
* When out of the water, wash and dry feet thoroughly, especially between the toes, and apply a topical anti-fungal medication on any cracked or itchy skin. Clean, dry feet resist disease.
* Pass up sharing towels to avoid developing athlete’s foot and other diseases that can easily be spread.
* Take special care of toenails, which can develop fungal infections around damp areas. See your podiatrist at the first sign of discoloration or infection.
* If you take part in boating, fishing or other water sports, be sure to wear proper footwear.
* When in the ocean, be cautious of jellyfish that often bite at feet and ankles and sharp coral that can cut the undersides of feet. Keeping sandals or water shoes on at all times is recommended to prevent stings, cuts and other injuries.
*Pack a travel foot care kit.
These are our favourite (best selling)travel foot care sets
Burt’s Bees Gift Set, 5 Essential Products, Deep Cleansing Cream, Hand Salve, Body Lotion, Foot Cream & Lip Balm, Travel Size
Pamper and moisturize dry, rough, cracked skin with our Coconut Foot Cream and Beeswax Hand Salve to leave skin feeling restored and soothed.
Everything you need for Dry Feet and Cracked Heel Repair: Our best value feet repair set includes a premium Foot Rasp, 2 pairs of Gel Heel moisturizing socks, Exfoliating Foot Cream and a Handy Storage Pouch!
ZenToes Dry Heel Repair Kit –5 Piece Value Set – ZenToes dry heel repair kit has everything you need to take your heels from dry, cracked and scratchy, to healthy, soft and baby smooth. Our kit includes a professional-quality metal foot file, a double-sided glass pumice stone, and one pair each of blue fuzzy and gray cotton moisturizing heel socks. This at-home pedicure set includes a water-resistant canvas carrying bag.
So before heading to the beach or going on vacation, be sure to check up on your feet. Prevent nasty cracked heels by being prepared and following these tips.